Friday, August 29, 2008

It's a ................

Many of you know that Olivia has her own heifer named Sassafrass. Sassafrass and I have had a love-hate relationship basically from day one. As far as Angus cattle go she is a fairly well bred animal (if I do say so myself) from one of my successful cow families. Her mother and great-grandmother have been great mommies and have had great offspring. This family only has one serious flaw; They and I do not get along! My dad however loves them and is still upset that we no longer have "The Babe", Sassafrass's great-grandmother. Well when Sassafrass was born we decided to register her in Olivia's name. Olivia is a card carrying junior member of the American Angus Association. Last summer we showed Sassafrass at the PA Angus show, which she did well at, however we were unsure if I would actually be able to take her in the show ring due to the fact that every time I attempted to work with her she would try to beat me up. Well it would seem that she is a true diva, who likes be washed and having her hair blown dry and then to be fed all she can eat hay while standing under the fan and someone to clean up behind her (literally)! Because when show day arrived she was a perfect angel. I should mention here that my father thinks she is a pussy cat that is ever so perfect and doesn't understand why we don't get along. Anyway I digress, I was able to show her, she walked and stood wonderfully, and she won first place in her class. That was July!
In December of '07 my Dad and I found her with her hind leg caught in the round bale feeder and terribly stuck. It was an ordeal to get her out and once we did I could tell that her injuries were pretty bad. Most intelligent people would have been done there and cut there losses. But not me! Being that I work as a veterinary nurse for a fantastic large animal veterinary hospital I couldn't just stop. So we loaded her up in the trailer and headed to New Bolton Center (NBC). Which I might add I managed to swipe my first deer while following the trailer down the road (I really think this is was "the Babe" trying to get even). Once we got to work we discovered that the her lacerations went to the bone on both sides of her lower right hind leg. Meaning that she was in deep do0-doo! Again most intelligent people would have ended it there and cut their loses, but not me! She had surgery to clean the wounds and then a cast placed. While at NBC she managed to terrorized several of my co-workers. You see she has mastered the art of intimidation. She throws her head around and knocks you silly. If you keep her head up by holding onto the halter well she can't do and gives up. Yes, it took me awhile to figure this out! Anyhow she ended up having months of antibiotic injections, bandage changes and two, yes 2 more surgeries the whole time being pregnant. So I was not entirely convinced that if the calf made it to term, that it would be alive. I am happy to say that this morning Sassafrass had a bull calf (a boy)!!!!!!!!! So needless to say Olivia is on cloud nine that she has a calf that she is hoping to be able to lead. Lets just hope he is a looker and will make a good show bull!!

Sassafrass, Pop-pop and Olivia at the 2007 PA Breeders show!

New mom and baby August 29, 2008


No comments: